Thursday, July 17, 2008

Help Me Out?

I have not been feeling well, physically or emotionally, for the past few days. Just down in the dumps and yucky. Nothing too worry about, Mom, just blah, meh and so forth.

One of the decisions I have recently made is that I need to start cooking and eating healthier. My family could all use the benefits of healthier eating. However, I am a down-home, southern cook. I cook meat and potatoes meals. That is all I really know how to cook. So, I am looking for help. I want all of you to send me your tried and true recipes for low carb and non-meat meals. Things that you have eaten and loved that are actually healthy and taste good! I am not averse to tofu or meat substitutes and we are adventurous eaters... I just don't usually cook that way!

I am feeding two toddlers, a teen and hubby and I. The teen will probably try anything once. The toddlers are happy with pb&j as needed. Hubby and I love eating different things. I am not just interested in a change for health reasons. I also am very very bored with the same damn meals showing up on my menu every week. I need a change!

So, help me out?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to think about this. I have some ideas...

Nana The Nana said...

That is the same kind of menu I have to eat. I will bring some ideas when I bring the girl home. I love you.. Take care of yourself.

C. said...

I get TONS of my meal ideas from here...
http://www.vegetariansrecipes.org/

http://www.vegcooking.com/?c=vcgavrg08&gclid=CInD45K2x5QCFQNaFQodSWDQkQ

comfortandjoy said...

I have no ideas as I do not cook because of the possibility of fire and food poisoning.

However, I do sympathize.

Sincerely,
CJ

C. said...

Roasted Vegetable Magic

For the Dijon roasting sauce:

4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill, marjoram, parsley or mint

Cut up:

2 cups sliced young potatoes- try a mix of blue, red and gold
1 medium sweet or red onion, cut up
4 carrots, sliced into thin diagonal coins or matchsticks
1 bunch of broccoli, cut up
1 yellow squash, sliced into half moons
1 zucchini squash, sliced into half moons
1 small cabbage, sliced
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper

4 Italian style sausages, sliced- optional

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Toss the cut vegetables into a large roasting pan. Season with sea salt and ground pepper.

Whisk together the Dijon sauce and pour over the veggies. Stir to coat.

Roast for an hour, until fork tender.

Add in sliced cooked sausage during the last twenty minutes of roasting time, if desired.

Serves 3-4.

Anonymous said...

well you got a lot of cook books in the house. search through some of stevens books for ideas or just ask him to jot some ideas down. i'm sure he'll think of something.
Hugs
~P

Anonymous said...

I will gather up some and email them to you... or if I ever get answer... bring them when I come.

Heather said...

Go to allrecipes.com and search for Summer Bean Salad. It's really yummy, meatless and great during the summer time.

I love quiche and fancy omelets with goat cheese and bacon as a meatless meal to.

If you like goat cheese, I have a simple recipe for a goat cheese truffle salad that tastes like you're a fancy smancy cook. JLMK and I can email it to you.

Let me warn you, one southern cook from another, once you start cooking the easy but fancy smancy tasting meals, you can't go back to the old food. That's what is happening to me. I'm becoming not only a cookie snob, but an overall food snob.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

southern cook here, according to hunny a meal is not a meal without MEAT... and if he can get it rice and gravy...and we wonder how I keep this nice round shape... blah

Anonymous said...

I've got an amazing recipe for you - Asiago Vegetable Pasta - but it's not yet written down. I'll get right on that! ... or you can probably Google for a similar recipe: guaranteed to go down well with all your family, teenager included. :) Just don't be tempted to make a substitution for the cheese: it really does have to be Asiago, the cheese of my dreams...

Unknown said...

Hmmm, I usually go to http://allrecipes.com/. They have any kind of recipe you can imagine, and they even have a healthy living section, too! And I have never had a "bad" recipe yet.