Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Convenience Foods Bite Me on The Butt

I'm back and it is time to get back on the frugal bandwagon! I have not been clipping coupons or shopping frugal at all recently. My menu planning has gone away and I really see the difference in our money! So, I decided it is time to get back to work.

One of the major problems I have noticed over the past few months is that I have been spending money on fast food and convenience foods because I have nothing in the house that is fast and easy to make for me and the kids for breakfasts, lunches and snacks. Nothing to eat? Swing down to the convenience store and pick up a few tubes of chocolate donuts. Not only is this bad for the kids (and me!) but the money really adds up in the long run.

So, I have decided to spend some time over the next week or so making up some breakfast and snack foods to freeze and have available. I plan to make pancakes, waffles, muffins, banana bread, cookies and maybe some other items. Flash freeze and package them and they are good to go for snacks or breakfasts.

I am presently searching for some good recipes for muffins and some different versions of pancakes. I also need to do some research on how to use wheat germ, flax seed and other nutritional supplements to make these items a little healthier for the kids.

My shopping day will be Friday or Saturday so I need to get my plans in place, make up my menu plans for dinners, make my shopping list and get ready to rumble!!

2 comments:

graceunderautism said...

When my oldest was around 2, he fell in love with chorizo and eggs (w/ or W/o a tortilla.) However, a tube of chorizo makes a huge batch. So one morning I would make the batch with like 10-12 eggs depending on their size and the size of the chorizo package. Then after we had eaten breakfast I would scoop the mix into small baggies and squish it into the bottom so that it was the size and shape for a tortilla. Then freeze. After that I could just tear open the bag and lay the frozen mass on a tortilla and reheat in the microwave.
The cheap bagging method may be to use wax paper for the rolls and put all the rolls into one large bag.

There is also a recipe for omlets in a bag. If you prep your veggies ahead of time and store in the fridge, you can plop eggs and veggies and whatnots into your ziplocks, then you can do 6-8 baggies at a time in the boiling water. Everyone gets a hot omlet together.

Do you still have the pancake recipe I sent you a while ago? My kids love it if I add food coloring. I've also started making a cinnamon version of the same recipe. I always double batch and freeze when making them.

Faerie Mom said...

I need that recipe again! Unfortunately for cheap breakfasts everywhere, we do not eat eggs. I know, weird. Both hubby and I are anti-egg. The 4 yo is as well. 15 yo and 2 yo WILL eat them if I make them. Fun. I hate the smell of eggs cooking.....