Sunday, March 16, 2008

Kitchen Possible

After reading Asthma Girl's post about Kitchen Impossible and what she would take with her to do a mission, I decided to show y'all what a professional chef takes with him to make HIS Mission Possible!
This is my husband. He is a professional chef and has been for more than 20 years. This pic is of him at work the other night, showing off one of his dishes. I have no idea what it is! But, I love him in the black chef coat and hat. Much nicer than white.




Here is his knife bag. He used to have a smaller one and just carried a backpack for anything that did not fit in with his knives. He recently got this one. It makes me laugh. It is huge!




Here is the first pocket. He keeps spare pens and markers, his rolling pin, parts to his slicer (wrapped in a towel to keep anyone from cutting themselves) and things like his ID and his Food Handlers certification in this pocket.



This next pocket he keeps non-knife tools in. Things, as you can see, like his peeler and tongs, thermometer, pastry brush, lighter, etc.



This is the big money pocket. His knives are in here. Also, things that won't fit in the other pockets. Like the rest of the parts for his slicer/ mandolin thingy. You can see I pulled one of the knives out to show what kind he uses. I have no idea what they are. I know he wants to buy a new set that cost about $500. I told him he had to wait! It was laptop or knives right now.

He also takes his laptop with him which is loaded with a crap load of recipe programs and research. He does specials almost every day. Appetizer, soup, salad, entree, dessert. And he is trying to keep track of his new recipes as he makes them up. He has plans to write a cookbook one of these days. And he is also in the process of starting his new blog.
The blog is called Metaphysics and Alchemy. It will be his blog about his adventures in cooking and his experiments in molecular gastronomy. He and his friend Hank have gotten several of the new chemicals that are showing up in kitchens and are planning to experiment and make up new recipes for the restaurant. It should be interesting, if slightly confusing to a neophyte cook like myself! I will be linking to the site once it is up and running.
Here is a pic of Steven (DH) with Hank at the restaurant.
Hank and Steven are hilarious. They might as well be married they way they bicker with each other!
Anyway! That is my DH and what makes his Dinner Possible in a professional kitchen. I once asked him why he had to take all of this in with him. He said he didn't. But, if he wants to be able to find a measuring spoon or peeler when he wants one, it is easier just to bring his own. So... there you go! A little more is known about the Faerie Dad!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, your hubby is definitely a man on a mission.

I think I would cut myself with half of what is in that bag, and the other half? I wouldn't know what to do with it. I love to cook, but I love to keep it simple.

Great post, tres thoughtful!

Anonymous said...

Interesting :)

I got new knives for Christmas and I am so happy. When you love to cook or do it for a living, tools are essential.

Anonymous said...

Steven and Hank look as if they just got caught doing something they shouldn't have been. ::Giggles:: I like the black better myself! Tell Steven I think it makes him look even more addorable ;)

Nana The Nana said...

If I had to think of all those things just to cook I would be lost. I also love a sharp knife, but I have a hard time keeping up with just 2 or 3! Love you guys, see you soon

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting that! Absolutely fascinating!

Does he cook at a different place each night, thus cannot find things when he might need them?

Jennifer said...

I agree with Chelle....They look like they just got caught doing something they shouldn't be doing!

Jessica said...

I can't believe I missed this post. This is so cool.